Securing your Sign-IT tablet device
The Sign-IT companion app utilises the pin windows feature in Android to prevent patients from accidentally (or intentionally!) accessing other apps on the tablet device.
When an application is pinned, it is locked onto that specific app, and requires the device to be unlocked in order to use a different one. It also hides the notification bar.
The following instructions show how to activate the pin windows feature and require the device PIN in order to unpin the app.
These instructions are for the Samsung Galaxy Tab A (2019), so if you have a different Android tablet device then the settings may be arranged differently but should contain the same features:
Enable a device lock screen PIN
- From the home screen, swipe up to access your apps.
- Click on the Settings app
- Click on Lock screen
- Click on Screen lock type
- Select PIN (or alternatively you can use a password instead)
- Enter the desired PIN and click continue (you will need to enter it again for confirmation)
Enable the pin windows feature
- Return to main Settings screen again and click Security. (Use the device back button to return to previous screens)
- Click Other security settings
- Click Pin windows
- Switch both toggles to ON
Pinning and unpinning the Sign-IT app
- When you open the Sign-IT app, a message will tell you that the app has automatically been pinned. The app is now secured for use by patients.
- The message tells you how to unpin Sign-IT if you need to use another app. Just press and hold the Back and Recents button at the same time.
- The lock screen will be displayed. Swipe the screen and enter your PIN to unlock the device.